One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The degree of turbulence at sea, generally measured on a scale of 0 to 9 according to average wave height.
- ‘The sea state made the ship violently roll, which made hoisting directly to or from the ship impossible.’
- ‘The weather was perfect, with no wind, a sea state of 1 and less than ten per cent ice in the area.’
- ‘As we passed the Runnel Stone, the sea state and latest shipping forecast were both positive.’
- ‘We've simulated the generation of a very big wave in a realistic sea state by adding up individual frequency components.’
- ‘The ships encountered 30-knot winds and a sea state of three to four.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.