One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for thrift (sense 2)
- ‘The sea pinks had been desiccated by the drought - colour and life sucked out of them.’
- ‘What he saw among the wheeling of gulls, the trembling of sea pinks, and the sprouting of broom, was a crack.’
- ‘I persuaded the children to join me in a walk threading between heather, sea pinks and campion along a volley of headlands.’
- ‘In late spring the sea pinks here are an absolute delight.’
- ‘Drifts of sea pinks coloured the soft grass of the cliff tops and house martins zipped by flashing their pure white rumps.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.