One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A marine coelenterate related to the corals, forming a feather-shaped colony with a horny or calcareous skeleton.
Order Pennatulacea, class Anthozoa
- ‘We think these are something like modern day sea pens, which are a kind of soft-bodied coral.’
- ‘Some Late Precambrian Ediacaran fossils bear strong resemblances to colonial coelenterates called pennatulids, or sea pens.’
- ‘Among the strait's most impressive creatures is the beautiful sea pen, and these beautiful animals are often displayed in public aquariums.’
- ‘Anthozoans include sea anemones, a variety of corals, sea fans, and sea pens.’
- ‘There is no coral reef as such, but there are plenty of soft corals, sponges, gorgonia and some very colourful sea pens.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.