Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A unit of distance equal to a minute of arc of a great circle and varying (because the earth is not a perfect sphere) between approximately 2,014 yards (1,842 meters) at the equator and 2,035 yards (1,861 meters) at the pole.Compare with nautical mile
- ‘Rescuers said that the ship was hit by a strong storm some seven sea miles off the Daqin Island near Longkou, which might have caused the gas explosion.’
- ‘He said all boats were fishing on the borderline and were allowed to travel through the reserve which extends out three sea miles from the shore.’
- ‘Port Moresby on the island's southern coast was only 340 sea miles from Australia.’
- ‘It's ironic really that Omeath is closer to Warrenpoint than any other town, only one sea mile, but if you asked anybody if they knew anybody in Omeath and vice versa, the answer is usually few.’
- ‘Shengsi is only 31 sea miles from Shanghai and visitors can go there by sea or by road.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.