One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A route designated for use or regularly used by shipping.
- ‘Other tasks which fall to St Albans include a readiness to protect other Allied warships or merchant vessels passing through the region, and to keep sea lanes open.’
- ‘The main mission is the clearance of mines in the entrance to ports, naval bases and coastal sea lanes.’
- ‘The fleet concentration period saw the ships drill in keeping sea lanes free of mines, ‘enemy’ ships and marauding aircraft.’
- ‘The major trade routes were sea lanes round England.’
- ‘Japan's defense of the sea lanes out to a thousand nautical miles sounded modest and did not arouse undue opposition at home.’
- ‘After all, the majority of maritime accidents occur in congested sea lanes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.