One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A route designated for use or regularly used by shipping.
- ‘Japan's defense of the sea lanes out to a thousand nautical miles sounded modest and did not arouse undue opposition at home.’
- ‘The major trade routes were sea lanes round England.’
- ‘After all, the majority of maritime accidents occur in congested sea lanes.’
- ‘The main mission is the clearance of mines in the entrance to ports, naval bases and coastal sea lanes.’
- ‘Other tasks which fall to St Albans include a readiness to protect other Allied warships or merchant vessels passing through the region, and to keep sea lanes open.’
- ‘The fleet concentration period saw the ships drill in keeping sea lanes free of mines, ‘enemy’ ships and marauding aircraft.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.