One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1informal An old or experienced sailor.
seaman, seafarer, seafaring man, marinerView synonyms
- ‘Anyway I have put the date in my diary and I am already looking forward to a few pints of ‘Old Bedwetter’ and some hoary old sea dog stories.’
- ‘Sea captains are always crazy sea dogs with inexplicably bad teeth.’
- ‘This is an interesting, insightful biography of a largely forgotten man who, though a veteran sea dogs with a distinguished record as a ship's captain, was a particularly capable administrator.’
- ‘The scum of the sea, briny sea dogs, buccaneers, pillagers, thieves, and murderers!’
- ‘The first step on my way to becoming the fearsome sea dog I am today was the recruitment of a particularly dastardly crew.’
- ‘Dickens called it ‘the saltiest, roughest, most piratical little place’, and a whiff of the sea dog still hangs around its working harbour, narrow backstreets and unfeasibly tall houses.’
- ‘Though well meaning, King was temperamental and sometimes ill, a martinet sea dog who did not easily translate to ruling a fractious young colony.’
- ‘It's a huge port town, with scruffy old sea dogs and one-eyed men with peg-legs and the like.’
- ‘We are accused of destroying children's innocence - as if the bloodthirsty verse about Romans, pirates, highwaymen and old sea dogs that I had to learn in the 1950s was so innocent.’
- ‘Tall tales were spelled aplenty amongst the old sea dogs during their retiring years.’
- ‘Her name is Sky Whisper, and she pops in to check on us old sea dogs every few days or so.’
- ‘Snarling, growling and oooh-arrghing like a shipwrecked salty sea dog, Jim quizzed Liz about her relationship to a Blackpool landlord.’
A mythical beast like a dog with fins, webbed feet, and a scaly tail.
- ‘Argent, a sea-dog rampant purpure breathing flames gules, a laurel wreath in canton purpure.’
- ‘Although this was originally blazoned as a sea-dog, a sea-dog is unusual in that it has four legs and the fish tail.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.