1another term for scute
The second dorsal sclerite in each thoracic segment of an insect.
- ‘B expression is activated by Wg in the scutum whereas B represses Wg expression in the most anterior part of the notum.’
- ‘Throughout the adult body, supernumerary bristles are present only on the scutum and on the scutellum.’
- ‘Twelve wasps not preserved in 1969 and 1970 were hand-netted and marked on their scutum with different colored, non-toxic paints using a tiny brush from which most of the bristles had been removed.’
Late 18th century: from Latin, literally oblong shield.
1A small constellation (the Shield) near the celestial equator, lying in the Milky Way between Aquila and Serpens.
- 1.1Used with a preceding letter or numeral to designate a star in this constellation.‘the star Beta Scuti’
- 1.1Used with a preceding letter or numeral to designate a star in this constellation.