Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Having an ornamental design or carving resembling a scroll of parchment.
coiled, helical, helix-shaped, corkscrew, curling, winding, twisting, whorled, scrolledView synonyms
- ‘They may have looked similar to those on Queen Anne's throne, although the richly scrolled and carved arm terminals were probably meant to remain exposed.’
- ‘The latter are eclectically inspired, combining Indian motifs such as the lotus and the nagini with spiral supports and scrolled hand-rests inspired by Portuguese, English or Dutch models.’
- ‘Standing close was a handsome Italian, reaching across him to place the first pile of napoleons from a new bagful just brought him by an envoy with a scrolled mustache.’
- ‘The half-basket guard is of gilded, cast copper alloy, with branches having leafy and scrolled terminals, and the mainplate is cut on the inside face with crossed fronds and a shield.’
- ‘It is in typical ‘Kentian’ style, with the cornice supported on scrolled brackets flanking a frieze with swags and a central mask, the jambs being carved as female terms with classical drapery.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.