1The sacred writings of Christianity contained in the Bible.‘passages of scripture’‘the fundamental teachings of the Scriptures’
sacred text, holy writ, the bible, the holy bible, the gospel, the good book, the word of god, the book of booksView synonyms
- ‘We read in Scripture that truth is an attribute of God (Jeremiah 10:10; John 1:14; 14:6; 17:3), and that God speaks truthfully - that is, He does not lie.’
- ‘It is difficult to find a Father who does not quote the Apocrypha and treat it as Scripture.’
- ‘The terms ‘Trinity’ and ‘persons’ as related to the Godhead, while not found in the Scriptures, are words in harmony with Scripture.’
- 1.1The sacred writings of another religion.
- ‘It is standard Islamic belief that all holy scriptures except the Qur'an have been altered from their original forms over time.’
- ‘Hindu scripture is overwhelmingly written in Sanskrit.’
- ‘The Pauranas are called Dharma Shastras, scriptures on Dharma, how to live a righteous life.’
Middle English: from Latin scriptura writings from script- written from the verb scribere.