1A tool with a flattened, cross-shaped, or star-shaped tip that fits into the head of a screw to turn it.
- ‘Use an old screwdriver or similar tool to scrape out any failed caulk from joints and cracks.’
- ‘Make sure they are tight by holding onto the washer with the wrench and use the screwdriver to turn the bolt.’
- ‘I used to race Minis at club level back when Minis could be fixed with three different spanners and a screwdriver.’
- ‘The mechanism can easily be removed using a small Philips screwdriver or a bundled tool.’
- ‘Although Dave called the room into which we stepped a kitchen, it actually more closely resembled a workshop, containing more spanners and screwdrivers than knives and forks.’
2A cocktail made from vodka and orange juice.
- ‘If you're mixing screwdrivers yourself, go light on the vodka, as there are about five times as many calories in the vodka as in the orange juice.’
- ‘He returned momentarily with a fresh screwdriver and whiskey, and placed them on the table.’
- ‘The line for the booze at the party was a little long, but it paid off if you nabbed one of the 75% vodka screwdrivers they were mixing.’
- ‘He led Kelley over to the open bar, and ordered two screwdrivers.’
- ‘I took a sip of my screwdriver leaving a smudge at the top of the highball glass.’