One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1vulgar slang Have many different sexual partners.
2informal Fool around.
- ‘I would prefer to be criticised for new things, screwing around with new formats.’
- ‘Make up a story, screw around with it, needle the characters, make them say weird stuff, insert new people at inopportune moments and have fun.’
- ‘I should just stop screwing around with the template, huh?’
- ‘I was screwing around on the guitar, and I came up with this riff and the lyrics are very personal.’
- ‘Through the years I always took an interest in pop music and I would listen to bands that really had a great melodic aesthetic, but really screwed around with it a little more.’
- ‘I don't even know, we just always screw around, and people think that's flirting.’
- ‘I've done nothing but screw around all day, I haven't even transcribed any of my notes.’
- ‘The rest of the weekend was spent screwing around with my computer.’
- ‘Another fellow stays late, never screws around, but still gets less done.’
- ‘I was looking forward to a nice relaxing evening of screwing around with some new software, but it was not to be.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.