Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An animation or image that, after a set time, replaces an unchanging computer display.
- ‘When Scott dug his cell phone out of his pocket, ‘8 missed calls’ appeared on the screen after the screen saver disappeared.’
- ‘He'd shown me the photo of his teenaged sons playing soccer that he used as a screen saver on his computer.’
- ‘Other times, the spyware is secretly hitched to another program that the user does want - often a free screen saver, game or peer-to-peer client.’
- ‘This utility is a wonderful screen saver which shows your favorite nature pictures collections at the computer's idle time.’
- ‘Password-protect your computer when the screen saver is active, so when you're away from your PC, your computer will be locked until you enter the password.’
screen saver/ˈskrēn ˌsāvər/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.