One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A test for an allergic reaction in which a possible allergen is applied to a scratched area of skin.
- ‘Only 50% of a group of individuals identified as latex allergic by both the skin-prick test and scratch test had IgE antibodies to latex by the RAST.’
- ‘The allergy or allergies are identified usually through scratch tests.’
- ‘She suspected that she had some food allergies so she went to the doctor to have a scratch test.’
- ‘Skin scratch tests, also called patch testing, are sometimes used to diagnose a food allergy.’
- ‘A puncture, prick or scratch test checks for immediate allergic reactions to as many as 40 different substances at one time.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.