Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A test for an allergic reaction in which a possible allergen is applied to a scratched area of skin.
- ‘A puncture, prick or scratch test checks for immediate allergic reactions to as many as 40 different substances at one time.’
- ‘The allergy or allergies are identified usually through scratch tests.’
- ‘She suspected that she had some food allergies so she went to the doctor to have a scratch test.’
- ‘Skin scratch tests, also called patch testing, are sometimes used to diagnose a food allergy.’
- ‘Only 50% of a group of individuals identified as latex allergic by both the skin-prick test and scratch test had IgE antibodies to latex by the RAST.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.