One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A test for an allergic reaction in which a possible allergen is applied to a scratched area of skin.
- ‘A puncture, prick or scratch test checks for immediate allergic reactions to as many as 40 different substances at one time.’
- ‘The allergy or allergies are identified usually through scratch tests.’
- ‘Only 50% of a group of individuals identified as latex allergic by both the skin-prick test and scratch test had IgE antibodies to latex by the RAST.’
- ‘Skin scratch tests, also called patch testing, are sometimes used to diagnose a food allergy.’
- ‘She suspected that she had some food allergies so she went to the doctor to have a scratch test.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.