Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A pile of discarded materials or articles.‘cars on a scrapheap’figurative ‘it should be consigned to the scrapheap of technological history’
- ‘Now, any director worth his or her salt wants to tackle the kind of subjects and scale that seemed to have been consigned to the scrap heap of cinema history.’
- ‘All that is required is an artistic mind that finds unconventional uses for unwanted material dumped in scrap heaps, or abandoned in rubbish dumps.’
- ‘One looks at artists like Willie Bester, Patrick Mautloa and Kay Hassan who find their materials on the scrap heap and build them into powerful works.’
- ‘What does an art teacher do when faced with a ton of plaster gauze and a bird bath salvaged from a scrap heap?’
- ‘And the move towards digital and flat-screen TVs is likely to lead to millions of TVs being thrown on the scrap heap.’
- ‘By the time the air force and navy finished their attack on the ship, 34 people were dead, 171 injured, and the ship ready for the scrap heap.’
- ‘Is he some crackpot pseudo-scientist consigned to the scrap heap of history?’
- ‘Two men are hoping that it's not bangers and smash this weekend when they race to Naples in a car destined for the scrap heap.’
- ‘‘You never know what it's like with one of these bikes,’ says Mahlombe, pointing to a decaying bike that looks as if it belongs in a scrap heap.’
- ‘With the nuclear scrap heap mounting, federal agencies and industry officials want a formalized recycling program in place to speed up the disposal.’
- ‘What's next for the scrap heap of medical history?’
- ‘What they left behind was a scrap heap of also-rans and angry old guys.’
- ‘Until the left does this, it'll have to be content to have it's home on the political scrap heap of history.’
- ‘Most cars did not make it back to the UK but ended their lives on a scrap heap in Naples.’
- ‘The inventor believes the H2N-Gen will serve as a bridge between the present and the time when the combustion engine is relegated to the scrap heap of history.’
- ‘I met with someone who had actually gone to a scrap heap and who had welded a couple of boxes around their Humvees in order to protect themselves.’
- ‘The car had started to show signs of severe rusting around the body and has in all probability been consigned to the scrap heap.’
- ‘Well, you can throw that pledge on the scrap heap of desperate promises never kept.’
- ‘When obsolete, an automobile is thrown in the scrap heap.’
- ‘A group of aging veterans set out to rescue their beloved boat from the scrap heap by striking a deal to buy it from the Turkish navy and sail it home.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.