One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or denoting vision in dim light, believed to involve chiefly the rods of the retina.Often contrasted with photopic
- ‘The low dark noise of rods allows the scotopic system to reliably detect a flash eliciting less than 10 effectively absorbed photons.’
- ‘Honeybees, forced to feed under dim light levels are colour-blind just as humans are under scotopic conditions’
- ‘Visual pigments have also evolved to perform specialized functions, such as color vision and scotopic vision.’
- ‘The photopic curve is for normal vision, and the scotopic curve is for eyes that are adjusted to the dark.’
- ‘Using an extremely low-light projector and other devices, we get demonstrations of night adaptation, blind spots, mesopic and scotopic vision, peripheral vision, autokinesis and flash blindness.’
Early 20th century: from Greek skotos ‘darkness’ + -opia + -ic.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.