One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A fluorocarbon preparation for giving a waterproof grease- and stain-resistant finish to textiles, leather, and other materials.
- ‘Spray the fabric with a protector such as Scotchgard before installing it on the headboard.’
- ‘These compounds show up in everything from rugs and furniture treated with Scotchguard to Teflon pans, Goretex camping gear and certain types of dental floss.’
- ‘If your favorite hat isn't waterproof, spray the surface with a water-repellant fabric treatment such as Scotchgard.’
- ‘Despite the 2000 withdrawal, Scotchgard is back on the market after reformulation to a more environmentally benign fluorine-based chemistry.’
- ‘The surest way to keep your bag looking gorgeous is to have it treated with a stain resistant such as Scotchgard, either by yourself or by a dry cleaner.’
Treat with Scotchgard.
- ‘Aren't you glad you got that fabric Scotchgarded ™?’
- ‘Buy long johns, Scotchguard your jeans to waterproof them, visit a local resort, and sign up with an instructor.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.