One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A runner's position on second or third base, from which scoring on a base hit is likely.
- ‘When he hits with runners in scoring position, he positions himself to cover the corner of the plate so he can flip an outside pitch to left field.’
- ‘But New York stranded seven runners and didn't have a runner in scoring position after the third inning.’
- ‘Sandberg then stole second, putting two runners in scoring position.’
- ‘First, we needed to hit with runners in scoring position and second, be aggressive on the bases.’
- ‘When the Cubs have trouble scoring runs, Baylor likes to get runners into scoring position, where a single can score two.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.