One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The anterior end of a tapeworm, bearing suckers and hooks for attachment.
- ‘The cysts were sent for histopathologic examination and the contents for cytologic examination for scolices and hooklets.’
- ‘Over time, the scolex degenerated and the aberrant larval form proliferated.’
- ‘However, a developing hydatid cyst up to 5 cm in diameter may not show scolices as they appear about 1 year after infestation.’
- ‘Posterior to the scolex are segments called proglottids.’
- ‘Rare degenerating scolices and hooklets were sometimes seen.’
Mid 19th century: modern Latin, from Greek skōlēx ‘worm’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.