Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of an insect's body, or part of one) hardened by conversion into sclerotin.
- ‘The sclerotized spermatheca is flexible and has muscle attachments between the base of the body of the spermatheca and its apex.’
- ‘In the adult stage, a sclerotized dorsal plate is evident and this is often ornate with patterns in white or gold against a brown or gray background.’
- ‘The majority of the fossil record consists of biomineralized or sclerotized remains as they have a high preservation potential.’
- ‘The larvae have a non-retracting head capsule, consisting of sclerotized chitin, which bears opposing mandibles, antennae, eyespots, and various other sensory structures.’
- ‘The cephalothorax of spiders is a sclerotized body part that does not change after the final molt.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.