One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tyrant flycatcher with a very long forked tail, found in the southern US and noted for its spectacular aerial display.
- ‘Was it a member of the winged flock that was in the running for Oklahoma's state bird, an honor ultimately bestowed on the swallow-tailed scissortail flycatcher?’
- ‘In those days scissor-tailed flycatchers were still uncommon in our part of the world, and seemed nearly as exotic to us as toucans.’
- ‘That should make the scissor-tailed flycatchers happy.’
- ‘Just yesterday I sat under a tiny tree surrounded by concrete in the parking lot and watched a scissor-tailed flycatcher work on her nest.’
- ‘As I stood there on my sister's porch, the first scissor-tailed flycatcher of the spring flew over.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.