Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A device for detecting and recording scintillations, especially in order to measure ionizing radiation.
- ‘The column effluent was collected, scintillation fluid added, and radioactivity determined in a liquid scintillation counter.’
- ‘Both breath samples were analysed in a liquid scintillation counter for 5 min.’
- ‘In this circumstance, scintillation counters are used.’
- ‘The radiation emitted is detected by a scintillation counter (a gamma camera, invented in 1961) and the image recorded.’
- ‘It would require an extremely sensitive scintillation counter to pick up any radiation.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.