One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Pain affecting the back, hip, and outer side of the leg, caused by compression of a spinal nerve root in the lower back, often owing to degeneration of an intervertebral disk.
- ‘Back pain with sciatica is a common pain syndrome.’
- ‘The commonest cause of true sciatica is prolapse of intervertebral discs.’
- ‘Is bed rest effective in the short-term treatment of patients with back pain and sciatica?’
- ‘These populations are clinically and pathologically distinct from patients with back pain or sciatica who are treated by most clinicians and included in all the other trials.’
- ‘I should mention that I have been stuck in the house for 3 years, I have a herniated disc, sciatica, and arthritis in my hips, and I am much too young for this.’
- ‘Chronic back pain and sciatica became daily problems.’
- ‘Its indications include pain in the lower back and hip region, muscular atrophy, sciatica, pain, weakness and muscular atrophy of the lower extremities, and hemiplegia.’
- ‘Prolotherapy is applicable to arthritis, neck pain, back pain, sciatica, herniated discs, degenerative discs, torn rotator cuffs, knee and ankle instability and wrist injuries.’
- ‘Two years after the injury, he was referred to a rheumatologist in case the pain was caused by sciatica.’
- ‘The term sciatica refers to pain that radiates along the path of this nerve - from your back into your buttock and leg.’
- ‘A careful history can usually distinguish nerve root compression, especially sciatica due to compression of the lumbosacral root.’
- ‘His sciatica gradually improved and has not recurred, although his back pain still gives him trouble occasionally, as you would expect.’
- ‘Slipped discs, pinched nerves, sciatica, aging, and infections are other common causes of lower back pain.’
- ‘I had admitted an elderly woman with severe sciatica to the community hospital.’
- ‘It is effective as an antispasmodic for muscle cramps, stiffness, aches, overuse, sprains, bruises, sciatica, rheumatism, gout, neuralgia and poor circulation.’
- ‘My initial impression was acute sciatica, but the abdominal pain and high normal temperature made my diagnosis uncertain.’
- ‘Prior to initiating any flexibility program, especially for sciatica or low back pain, disc involvement should be ruled out.’
- ‘This structural malfunction may cause an irritation of the nerve root/s emerging in between the vertebral bodies; this would in turn lead to a radiating type of pain like sciatica.’
- ‘The patient was initially diagnosed with sciatica and treated.’
- ‘Most sciatica is due to prolapse of a lumbar intervertebral disc.’
Late Middle English: from late Latin sciatica (passio) ‘(affliction) of sciatica’, feminine of sciaticus, from Greek iskhiadikos (see sciatic).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.