One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A major nerve extending from the lower end of the spinal cord down the back of the thigh, and dividing above the knee joint. It is the nerve with the largest diameter in the human body.
- ‘This set of symptoms is called sciatica, because it is often a nerve root of the sciatic nerve going to one leg that is affected.’
- ‘Perhaps the best-known nerve is the sciatic nerve, which when inflamed or under pressure causes pain, tenderness, and weakness in the back of the leg.’
- ‘The first group consisted of animals whose left sciatic nerves and gastrocnemius muscles were intact.’
- ‘The nurse takes special care when abducting the legs to prevent injuring the patient's femoral, obturator, and sciatic nerves.’
- ‘The lumbosacral trunk and the second and third sacral nerves are major components of the sciatic nerve.’
sciatic nerve/sīˈadik ˌnərv/
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.