1Relating to the hip.
- ‘Patients with the piriformis syndrome will have pain with passive internal rotation and palpation of the sciatic notch, as well as with active external rotation.’
- ‘When inferior branches are absent, they are sometimes replaced by branches from the middle rectal, gluteal, and sciatic arteries.’
- ‘It arises from the lumbosacral plexus and then enters the thigh through the greater sciatic foramen.’
- ‘The dimension of the greater sciatic notch is variable.’
- ‘Inferior to the posterior inferior iliac spine is the greater sciatic notch.’
- 1.1Of or affecting the sciatic nerve.
- 1.2Suffering from or liable to sciatica.
Early 16th century (as a noun denoting sciatica): from French sciatique, via late Latin from Greek iskhiadikos relating to the hips, subject to sciatica from iskhion hip joint.