Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Work assigned students by their teachers in school.‘Brother could do any schoolwork put to him, but he'd answer any spoken question with “I don't know.”’
exercise, assignment, school task, drillView synonyms
- ‘My life had settled into the monotony of school, schoolwork, and school tension; nothing else.’
- ‘There was enough schoolwork in the school week to keep stressing for the two free days you were granted.’
- ‘An avid student, Edmond excelled at his schoolwork, and was thought of as his school's best poet.’
- ‘After she was done washing the dishes she went into her bedroom and studied and worked on schoolwork.’
- ‘She does not finish her schoolwork, and she pays the teachers no respect.’
- ‘They were always going through her stuff and ruining it, and she could never work on her schoolwork.’
- ‘I tried to focus on reading a book that I was assigned to have read by the next day as schoolwork.’
- ‘They chose the wrong time though, because I was very sick, and bogged down by schoolwork and projects.’
- ‘She drowned herself in her schoolwork and the school paper, doing her best and doing more than what was asked of her.’
- ‘There's nothing wrong or weird about enjoying schoolwork.’
- ‘What's she thinking, going to work when she has a son to raise and schoolwork to do?’
- ‘Dani had been working on schoolwork for almost four hours straight when Bryan came home.’
- ‘I didn't have the stamina and motivation to ever complete a work of fiction, except for schoolwork.’
- ‘Chad and Ally talked about how her schoolwork's been so far this semester.’
- ‘I then proceeded in entering the dinning room where Leah was hard at work with some schoolwork.’
- ‘Paddy's schoolwork wasn't up to scratch, so the teacher asked what the problem was.’
- ‘I do make them revise their schoolwork, and then I give oral quizzes.’
- ‘He had to bribe the school to let him do his schoolwork on the road.’
- ‘I had quite good teachers and I had no problems with schoolwork, but I seem to remember school as an unhappy place.’
- ‘In all honesty, the only thing I was actually doing right was my schoolwork.’
Although the distinction can be made between schoolwork as work assigned to be completed in school and homework as work assigned to be completed at home, in practice people often use schoolwork to mean the same as homework: they had to do their schoolwork at the kitchen table
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.