A female teacher in a school.
educator, tutor, instructor, pedagogue, schoolteacher, schoolmaster, schoolmistress, master, mistress, governess, educationalist, educationistView synonyms
- ‘Primary schoolmasters and schoolmistresses, the instituteurs and institutrices, were liberated from the grip of the church, and in 1889 they became employees of the central state instead of the local council.’
- ‘I was barely even seventeen yet and so I could not get a job as a schoolmistress or a governess.’
- ‘In 1836-1837, her career as a schoolmistress thwarted by ill health, she suffered a nervous breakdown.’
- ‘Individual schoolmistresses and teachers in the academies and seminaries that proliferated in Alexandria during the antebellum period offered instruction in a wide range of useful and ornamental subjects.’
- ‘Fortunately, their landlady, a retired schoolmistress, warmly welcomes and befriends them.’