One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘But despite the pertinence and importance of Dawn's critique, her schoolmarmish, finger-wagging tone may put people off.’
- ‘The vice president, alas, will no doubt sound just as schoolmarmish when getting in his licks as when he's disgorging numbers.’
- ‘She combines the schoolmarmish authority of Barbara Woodhouse with the diva presence of Barbra Streisand.’
- ‘The delivery may be faintly schoolmarmish, but the substance is unexpectedly funky.’
- ‘To some people, I suspect, she came to embody the negative image of the copy editor: punctilious, schoolmarmish and blue-stockinged.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.