One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘But despite the pertinence and importance of Dawn's critique, her schoolmarmish, finger-wagging tone may put people off.’
- ‘To some people, I suspect, she came to embody the negative image of the copy editor: punctilious, schoolmarmish and blue-stockinged.’
- ‘The delivery may be faintly schoolmarmish, but the substance is unexpectedly funky.’
- ‘The vice president, alas, will no doubt sound just as schoolmarmish when getting in his licks as when he's disgorging numbers.’
- ‘She combines the schoolmarmish authority of Barbara Woodhouse with the diva presence of Barbra Streisand.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.