Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The basic monetary unit of Austria (until replaced by the euro), equal to 100 groschen.
- ‘In Austria there is widespread nostalgia for the old schilling and a growing movement in favour of dual pricing - if not the scrapping of the euro altogether.’
- ‘Austria's basic unit of currency is the schilling.’
- ‘After hyperinflation, Austria introduces the schilling.’
- ‘Europe's policy-makers went through virtually every monetary name in the continent's history, with early favourites such as the florin and the schilling failing to make the cut.’
- ‘Games on offer are mainly hold'em and stud at all limits from 30-60 to 200-400 Austrian schillings.’
- ‘A recent survey at the end of the year for the Austrian broadcaster, the ORF, found that two-thirds of the country still thought in terms of the now defunct schillings.’
- ‘According to an artist's statement prepared for this exhibition, from Aug.1, 2001, until the last moment of the schilling's circulation, on Feb.28, 2002, he transcribed his exceptionally vivid dreams as penciled works on paper.’
- ‘For instance, it is often claimed that in Austria the pegging of the schilling to the German mark affected trade union behaviour.’
- ‘At the day's end they were back up and running and Austria's central bank remains optimistic that the schilling will disappear quickly.’
- ‘This is clearly shown in Figure 1 by the horizontal line for the schilling (over the entire period displayed) and the guilder.’
- ‘With central banks aiming to peg the Austrian schilling and the Dutch guilder to the Deutsche mark, the nominal exchange rates (defined as local currency/foreign currency) against the mark should have been stable.’
From German Schilling; compare with shilling.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.