Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A representation of a plan or theory in the form of an outline or model.‘a schema of scientific reasoning’
plot, outline, storyline, framework, structure, scheme, plan, layoutView synonyms
- ‘While Johnnie certainly has a goal here, he is without a plan or a schema of how to achieve it.’
- ‘The schema below summarizes the organizational structure of each chapter.’
- ‘Then he slots the settings, the characters, and the plot into reductive schemata accompanied by unfathomable diagrams which only lend the appearance of user-friendliness.’
- ‘Most importantly for our purposes, schemas and scripts represent the means through which understanding and action are embedded in established institutional environments.’
- ‘This process involved the application of fairly standardized schemata and models to the layout and structure of urban settlements.’
- 1.1Logic A syllogistic figure.
- ‘In contrast to schemas, however, these logics of action appear to be specific to the means-ends relationship that individuals and parties bring to an exchange.’
- ‘Despite only having three axiom schemata and a single inference rule, it is possible to prove any tautology in the simple Propositional Calculus, PC.’
- ‘Upon occasion, Mill extolled all four of his inductive schemata as rules of proof of causal connection.’
- ‘Hence the logical proof schema which enables you to deduce any proposition whatever from a contradiction cannot be applied.’
- 1.2(in Kantian philosophy) a conception of what is common to all members of a class; a general or essential type or form.
Late 18th century (as a term in philosophy): from Greek skhēma form, figure.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.