One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A twining bean plant with scarlet flowers and very long flat edible pods. Native to Central and South America, it is widely cultivated in North America.
Phaseolus coccineus, family Leguminosae
- ‘Fast growing vines like hops or scarlet runner beans do the job in record time.’
- ‘He crossed the Atlantic three times to bring back the pineapple, the yucca, and the scarlet runner bean, along with the Virginia creeper whose green leaves go flame red in autumn.’
- ‘Make a tee pee out of bamboo stakes and plant morning glories or scarlet runner beans.’
- ‘A tepee covered with scarlet runner beans and a playhouse made of gigantic sunflowers are other whimsical ideas using plants that children love to grow.’
- ‘We cut our homegrown timber bamboo to build the tepee, then planted lots of scarlet runner beans.’
scarlet runner/ˈskärlət ˈrənər/
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.