1A tool with spikes or prongs used for breaking up matted vegetation in the surface of a lawn.
- ‘They built a scarifier - a device that will disk, turn, or till the soil to prepare it for receiving seeds - to pull behind their pole skidder after harvesting a birch plot.’
- ‘It's hard work so hire a petrol-driven scarifier for large areas.’
- ‘Use either a wire-tined rake or hire an electric or petrol scarifier from a DIY centre.’
- ‘Yesterday he tried to kill me by telling me it was fine to use the lawn scarifier without a power breaker in the circuit.’
- 1.1A machine with spikes used for breaking up the surface of a road.
- ‘Its Lombardini engine gives 47 hp, its cab is fully enclosed, its scarifier is center-mounted, and it offers two-speed hydrostatic drive and tandem drive.’
- ‘The Maintainer, 14 ft. long and 7 ft., 5 in. wide, offers five hydraulic attachments: scarifier, side dozer, bulldozer, front-end loader, and berm leveler.’
- ‘Get up close to see power trowels, saws, scarifiers, and much more operate on real concrete.’
- ‘So available attachments include snowplows, dozer blades, rippers, scarifiers, and windrow eliminators.’