One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Make someone extremely scared (or bored etc.).
- ‘It's a fine line between motivating people to stop smoking and scaring the pants off them.’
- ‘I promise not to bore the pants off you with my holiday snaps when I come back.’
- ‘If there is one category of horror movies that scares the pants off me, it's zombies, and this remake certainly got me jumping and twitching in my seat.’
- ‘There is a class of person who delights in trying to scare the pants off you with appalling tales of child-rearing horror.’
- ‘[It has] dialogue to bore the pants off you even if the play were not stretched out beyond endurance.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.