One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The state of being scarce or in short supply; shortage.‘a time of scarcity’‘the growing scarcity of resources’
shortage, dearth, lack, want, undersupply, insufficiency, paucity, scarceness, scantness, meagreness, sparseness, scantiness, povertyrarity, rareness, infrequency, sparseness, uncommonness, unusualnessView synonyms
- ‘In general, beech nuts have been regarded as food for humans in times of famine or scarcity.’
- ‘This lack of scarcity makes this concert even sillier, as there is nothing special about it.’
- ‘Such is the official apathy that drought and food scarcities have found little space for intellectual discussions and strategic planning.’
- ‘It should not be relegated to a matter that was only given close attention in times of drought and water scarcity.’
- ‘In a market economy it is as easy to fall as to rise, but in periods of scarcity and famine, easier to survive within such a system than outside it.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.