One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The chemical element of atomic number 21, a soft silvery-white metal generally included among the rare earth elements.
- ‘Examples of transition metals include vanadium, chromium, iron, cobalt, manganese, nickel, scandium, yttrium, zirconium, silver, and gold.’
- ‘In terms of materials, shooters can choose from carbon steel, stainless, aluminum, titanium and now scandium.’
- ‘Gun construction has evolved from wood and steel to high-tech polymers and lightweight alloys like titanium and scandium.’
- ‘In recent years they have been made even more comfortable to carry, though not necessarily to shoot, through the use of titanium and scandium.’
- ‘Research with scandium began almost as soon as the titanium guns reached the market.’
Late 19th century: modern Latin, from Scandia, contraction of Scandinavia (where minerals are found containing this element).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.