One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A long-necked onion with a small bulb, in particular a green onion.
- ‘In a large bowl, combine the remaining mango with the rice, kidney beans, bell pepper, scallions and peas.’
- ‘Then add the green onions and stir the scallions and chilies for thirty more seconds.’
- ‘Divide veal, scallions, Brussels sprouts, sake, bone marrow and bouillon into four bowls.’
- ‘Not surprisingly, the most rapturously received bowlful on the menu is a deliriously seductive ragout of onions, leeks, scallions, garlic, cherry peppers, and olive oil.’
- ‘Add the onion, shallot, scallions, fennel, ginger, and garlic and gently sauté until tender, making sure not to brown.’
- ‘Cucumbers go well with buttermilk, dill, mint, salmon, tarragon, scallions, onions, tomatoes, sour cream and yogurt.’
- ‘Heat oil in a deep skillet over medium heat and add scallions, onion, garlic and half the chili pepper.’
- ‘Ladle the soup into a bowl and top with the avocado, red onion, tomato, scallions, lime, and two slices of French bread.’
- ‘Of the names shown in the box, the ones which constantly cause confusion are spring onions and scallions.’
- ‘Add the tomatoes, cilantro, basil, onion, scallions, and vinegar and sauté until the onions are just tender.’
- ‘In a blender or food processor, combine the roasted red peppers, garlic, ginger, jalapeno, scallion, soy sauce, vinegar, and honey or sugar.’
- ‘Islands of tender beef brisket float among rice vermicelli in a delicate lemongrass broth flavored with scallion, cilantro and onion.’
- ‘Add the garlic, haricot verts, fava beans, tomato, fennel, scallions, and basil.’
- ‘It is often highly seasoned, including combinations of garlic, ginger, red or black pepper, scallions, soy sauce, sesame seeds, and sesame oil.’
- ‘They sowed potatoes, carrots, beetroot, lettuce, scallions, onion sets, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, Brussels sprouts and celery.’
- ‘From the main courses, Cunningham chose tender pan-fried octopus with sliced raw onions, scallions, and a robust dose of chili.’
- ‘The combo - a sauté of white onions, mushrooms, scallions, red chili peppers and aromatic basil - is tasty, but the subtle pork flavor gets lost in the sauce.’
- ‘A member of the same family as onions, leeks and scallions, garlic appears to reduce the risk of many types of cancer, including prostate cancer.’
- ‘Unlike their larger bulb cousins, green onions, scallions and leeks should be refrigerated.’
- ‘Combine red bean paste, sugar, sesame oil, chili pepper powder, gingerroot, scallions, sesame seeds and soy sauce in a saucepan and simmer for five minutes.’
Late Middle English: from Anglo-Norman French scaloun, based on Latin Ascalonia (caepa) ‘(onion) of Ascalon’, a port in ancient Palestine.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.