One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a quantity) having only magnitude, not direction.
- ‘However, mass is atypical scalar quantity and therefore its value will not depend on the polarization of the exciting light that is used to measure it.’
A scalar quantity.Compare with vector (sense 1 of the noun)
- ‘With multiple loci, each locus has a mutation rate scalar parameter such that the product of all mutation rate scalars is equal to 1.’
- ‘Together these three loci seem to fit the circumstances under which separate estimates of both mutation scalars and inheritance scalars can be obtained.’
- ‘These types are what you'd expect: scalars hold numerical values or strings, columns hold lists of numbers, grids hold two-dimensional matrices and images hold pixels.’
- ‘These models directly infer phylogeny by using only the substitution distances of the scalar.’
- ‘It can find the bug if you ask your subroutine for a scalar, but you mistakenly have the subroutine return an array.’
Mid 17th century: from Latin scalaris, from scala ‘ladder’ (see scale).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.