Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a quantity) having only magnitude, not direction.
- ‘However, mass is atypical scalar quantity and therefore its value will not depend on the polarization of the exciting light that is used to measure it.’
A scalar quantity.Compare with vector
- ‘Together these three loci seem to fit the circumstances under which separate estimates of both mutation scalars and inheritance scalars can be obtained.’
- ‘These types are what you'd expect: scalars hold numerical values or strings, columns hold lists of numbers, grids hold two-dimensional matrices and images hold pixels.’
- ‘It can find the bug if you ask your subroutine for a scalar, but you mistakenly have the subroutine return an array.’
- ‘With multiple loci, each locus has a mutation rate scalar parameter such that the product of all mutation rate scalars is equal to 1.’
- ‘These models directly infer phylogeny by using only the substitution distances of the scalar.’
Mid 17th century: from Latin scalaris, from scala ladder (see scale).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.