One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A Muslim claiming descent from Muhammad, especially through Husayn, the prophet's younger grandson.
- ‘This pattern in the Islamic movement emphasizes the effectiveness of the traditional network of ulama or sayyids based on their sacredness, nobility of origin, or salvation of the soul.’
- ‘All the other small details will be settled within the family and with the blessings of the Sayid.’
- ‘The black-turbaned man with outsized feet, hands, girth, and ambition is a Sayyid, a direct descendant of the Prophet Mohammed.’
- ‘But regarding the political position, it's the responsibility of the Sayyid himself.’
- 1.1 A respectful Muslim form of address.
- ‘But Sayyid Al-Husseini, a farmer in Mahaweel, 50 miles south of Baghdad, scoffs at that.’
Arabic, literally ‘lord, prince’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.