One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A frame or trestle that supports wood for sawing.
- ‘Shane had set up a makeshift table for them, made of wooden boards and sawhorses.’
- ‘Doors are best painted removed from their hinges and set on sawhorses.’
- ‘The base consists of two adjustable sawhorses - because counter height is more convenient for some tasks, desk height for others - but any sturdy sawhorses will do.’
- ‘There was construction equipment everywhere, sawhorses, large saws, extra lumber, and so on and so forth.’
- ‘I made make-do sawhorses out of the top of my new chest freezer and the top of two plastic storage boxes stacked on my stepstool.’
- ‘Place the marked sheet on sawhorses and cut along the penciled lines with a circular saw set to the proper depth.’
- ‘Remove the door and lay it across a couple of sawhorses or on a sturdy worktable.’
- ‘A sawhorse stands in one corner, and a metal chair with bent legs rests on its side.’
- ‘A plain door and two sawhorses will help you get by until that next big purchase - a desk.’
- ‘Wood and three colleagues worked at desks that consisted of chunks of plywood plunked across sawhorses.’
- ‘With her help, he draws the long plank onto the sawhorse.’
- ‘Nailing ceilings, one nails a wood tongued-and-grooved board in place while standing on planks laid across sawhorses.’
- ‘Lay the timber on a pair of sawhorses and mark the cutting line on one face.’
- ‘Dunlap uses sawhorses built from two-by-fours, but you can also use PVC or logs.’
- ‘To ease my back and save time, I screwed a piece of plywood to the top of a sawhorse and made a crude table to catch the piece of split wood.’
- ‘With both his small hands Dominic had gripped tightly the end of each board jutting off the sawhorse as Mr. Russo carefully cut through it.’
- ‘Clamp the molding in a wood vise, or to a workbench, or on a sawhorse.’
- ‘In fact, several modestly scaled constructions were displayed on plywood panels that straddled sawhorses, a presentation that conjured a studio or workshop and underscored the makeshift appearance of most of the work on view.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.