Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Powdery particles of wood produced by sawing.
- ‘Fill nursery flats or wood boxes with dry peat moss, sawdust, or wood shavings.’
- ‘The smell of sawdust and fresh wood permeated the little store with a cheery sense of renewal.’
- ‘Traction material like sand or sawdust creates a safe surface and is environmentally friendly.’
- ‘Its walls are of clay baked in sawdust, which means the house has a natural air and heat system that regulates itself naturally.’
- ‘Some are made from coal, wood, or sawdust, while others are made from peach pits, olive pits, or coconut shells.’
- ‘One of the by-products of working with wood is, obviously, sawdust.’
- ‘The pictures comprise coloured sawdust, dried flowers and wood.’
- ‘It's a small pub, with sawdust on the floor and wood paneling aged with a century's worth of beer.’
- ‘Fallen trees lay everywhere, along with a substrate of splintered wood and sawdust.’
- ‘Once all the scoring is complete, thoroughly clean the floors removing all sawdust, dirt and oils from the floor.’
- ‘Burning the wood or using its sawdust and ash is also strongly discouraged.’
- ‘If you add a quantity of, say, fresh sawdust to your garden soil, chances are your plants will suffer from a lack of nitrogen.’
- ‘Dirt, weeds and sawdust adhere to the paint, forming porous cavities and rough, spongelike surfaces.’
- ‘Periodically saturated sand or sawdust should be scraped away and fresh, clean material put in place.’
- ‘Innovative use of scraps and sawdust make the best use of wood for panels, hybrid products, etc.’
- ‘Use sand, straw, sawdust or plastic sheeting along the ground to prevent mud splashes.’
- ‘As the wood is cut, the heaviest sawdust is sucked down into the small bag.’
- ‘My closet shelf had a large semi-circle chewed out of it, and sawdust and wood shavings covered all my clothes.’
- ‘Bark, wood chips or sawdust work, but avoid stone or brick chips because they absorb and reflect heat.’
- ‘Anything left in the room will be covered with a layer of sawdust from sanding.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.