One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Relating to the planet Saturn.
- ‘At an emotional press conference, the Huygens mission team announced that their probe has started to send experimental data back from the surface of Saturnian moon, Titan.’
- ‘If life does exist on the Saturnian moon, the evidence might have been recorded by the Huygens probe when it landed on Titan on 14 January.’
- ‘The major mission I am involved with, Cassini, is five-and-a-half years into its seven-year journey to the Saturnian system.’
- ‘This brings the unofficial count of Saturnian moons to 30, two more than the tally of Jupiter, the biggest planet of our solar system.’
- ‘Cassini has snapped some stunning shots on its meanderings through the Saturnian system, but this one is a corker, even by its high standards.’
- ‘The Huygens probe has travelled 789 million miles to the Saturnian system tethered to the Cassini spacecraft.’
- ‘Cassini has found another Saturnian moon with an atmosphere: this time, it is Enceladus.’
- ‘Surely Dee's studies were such as to qualify him as a Saturnian, a representative of the Renaissance revaluation of melancholy as the temperament of inspiration.’
2another term for saturnine
- ‘Other positive characteristics of the Saturnian type are what may be termed the good old-fashioned values of courtesy, decorum, and propriety.’
- ‘There is nothing extraordinary about a parent having both a charming, lovable Venusian side and a withdrawn Saturnian side or a demanding Plutonian side.’
- ‘Even in the midst of Saturnian limitations to our homes, economy, security and even our homes there is an expanding ray of light.’
- ‘By placing their focus too strongly on observable reality, a negative Saturnian type may be driven by materialist gain to the detriment of building comforting and supportive relationships.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.