Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A spiritual discourse or sacred gathering.
- ‘He is instrumental in conducting Gita discourses, satsangs and music sessions.’
- ‘Their enthusiasm for the Hindu festivals and the Sunday satsangs is commendable, but typical of a community thousands of miles from their homeland.’
- ‘The Sri Ganesha Society of British Columbia, comprised of 100 Sri Lankan families, holds weekly satsangs and monthly chaturthi pujas.’
- ‘Family, relatives and friends gather for satsang to share and enjoy their artistic gifts.’
- ‘The hallmark of this celebration would be the nightlong satsang.’
From Sanskrit satsaṅga ‘association with good men’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.