One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An explosive on a board fitted with a rope or wire loop for carrying and attaching.
- ‘Two types of grenade can be lobbed, smoke and fragmentation, while the Covert Ops class can also make use of the satchel charge, a somewhat stealthier explosive device that can be thrown and then detonated remotely from cover.’
- ‘This hole was blown open by some sort of satchel charge.’
- ‘Grenades and satchel charges help assaulting troops get through the maze of barbed wire, trenches and pillboxes that litter many of the battlefields.’
- ‘Shelf after shelf after shelf within the room was chock full of land mines, grenades, rifles, and satchel charges.’
- ‘They disabled the gun cupolas with satchel charges, poured 10,000 gallons of gasoline into the ventilation shafts, lit fuses, and hastily retired to a safe distance.’
- ‘First of all, players have access to satchel charges and smoke grenades for detonations and masking attacks.’
- ‘They used sappers (demolition commandos) who would carry or wear satchel charges and purposefully blow themselves up to destroy equipment and fortifications.’
- ‘His focus is primarily on the grunts who exchanged hand grenades and satchel charges with a determined and skillful enemy.’
- ‘Other specialised equipment includes Bangalore Torpedoes for clearing barbed wire, satchel charges for blasting strongpoints, and flame throwers.’
- ‘A small group of us, members of a demolition team, had hoped somehow the mortar positions could be located so they might be quieted with 20-pound satchel charges.’
- ‘He grabbed a satchel charge, carefully unclasping the clasp and flipping the tan covering off, revealing plastic explosives and a carefully placed set of syringes.’
- ‘Armored vehicles were hit again and again by antitank weapons, thrown satchel charges, mines, grenades, and various calibers of automatic weapons and small-arms fire.’
- ‘From the useful crowbar, to satchel charges, to the experimental gauss gun, the right weapon for the right situation is essential.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.