Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An Southeast Asian dish consisting of small pieces of meat grilled on a skewer and served with a spiced sauce that typically contains peanuts.
- ‘The fusion food tickled my palate tantalisingly as I heaped satay and dim sums on my platter along with the wide variety of seafood and seaweeds.’
- ‘Chicken quesadilla, chicken tacos, chicken satay, chicken in lettuce leaves - they've all become essentials on the American appetizer menu.’
- ‘As difficult as it is to stray from the safety of pork dumplings, try the satay.’
- ‘The deep fried prawns were fat and juicy and the chicken satays simply superb.’
- ‘The restaurant will offer the best of South East Asia with starters such as Pla Yaan or marinated grilled fish, satay, deep fried crabmeat, and minced chicken ball, spicy glass noodle salad.’
- ‘Coriander features in just about everything, save a dish of satay with a nicely savoury sauce.’
- ‘Pasta dishes, fresh halibut, black tiger prawns or chicken satays will satisfy any hunger.’
- ‘Our dinner menu includes an appetizer of easy grilled satay and a simple pad thai, both of which are largely made ahead of time.’
- ‘For a main course, try nasi goreng, seasoned rice layered with egg and shrimp, served with beef satay and a big, crispy shrimp cracker.’
- ‘Pass on the standard gluey pizza or sliced sub, and try to put out more unique and tempting treats, like Chinese dumplings or chicken satay.’
- ‘It is streamlined into fairly familiar categories: sizzling dishes, satays, bird's nests (something on a bed of shredded fried yam) but seafood has pride of place.’
- ‘Next week they'll be serving up sushi, oysters, satays, vegetarian and meat curries.’
- ‘Appetizers are up next and spring rolls, satays and deep fried chicken with sesame are all on offer.’
- ‘The food is an exotic mix of tapas and dim sum, so you eat chorizo and calamari one minute, spring rolls and satay the next.’
- ‘Sometimes food is barbecued bananas or goat satays, maize or cashews, all purchased through the bus window as we pass through small villages of thatched-roofed mud huts.’
- ‘Both nation's cuisines are well covered, and you'll be able to find a range of rendangs, sambals, satay and roti as well as kormas, masalas, tandoori and naan.’
- ‘So for appetizers we chose Deep Fried Banana Blossom in batter, some chicken satays and Chinese spring rolls.’
- ‘I tried the Thai green curry, Filipino adobo and Malaysian satay; all delicious.’
- ‘Don't bother dithering over the appetizers, even though the lightly fried tofu with peanut sauce, chicken satay and green mango salad are all quite good.’
- ‘Also on the appetizer tip, the sate ayam is a simple dish of chicken satays, with a classic, beautiful tamarind and brown sugar sauce.’
From Malay satai, Indonesian sate.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.