One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Lively, bold, and full of spirit; cheeky.
impudent, impertinent, insolent, presumptuous, forward, pert, bold, bold as brass, brazen, brazen-faced, shameless, audacious, overfamiliar, irreverent, discourteous, disrespectful, insubordinate, impolite, bad-mannered, ill-mannered, unmannerly, mannerless, rude, insultingView synonyms
- ‘Hazel is an English rose who is graceful, elegant and sassy.’
- ‘In other words this is sassy, bold, sophisticated cooking.’
- ‘She took a few sassy steps forward and then stopped in the middle of the space between them all.’
- ‘It has a cutting-edge modernity and sassy, youthful energy.’
- ‘I think you'll really like this girl - she's smart, sophisticated, and sassy - but not too sassy.’
- ‘With a smart, sassy script and a winning lead performance, the film is virtually impossible to dislike.’
- ‘Toni, her best friend, was smart and sassy, liked to pretend she was a hard nut, though underneath it all, she was a hopeless romantic.’
- ‘She manages a brash, confident, and sassy manner that works well in the part, but is not overdone to the point of being unwelcome.’
- ‘Smart and sassy becomes smarmy and crass at the touch of the middlebrow.’
- ‘This pig-tailed cutie grew up to be a sassy, soul-singing beauty.’
- ‘Here we have a mother and daughter duo with tight clothes and sassy attitudes who are forever searching for men.’
- ‘The film is smart, sassy, and thoroughly enjoyable, and features one of the most endearing and believable characters to grace the screen this year.’
- ‘She was smart, cute, sassy, and I fell for her fast - a once in a lifetime whirlwind romance, you know?’
- ‘The sets and atmosphere are dingy, with performers dressed in jeans and sneakers and leather jackets, and conveying a sassy, modern manner in their characters' persona.’
- ‘Pop songs sung by female teen vocalists became associated with sassy dance moves and flashy midriffs.’
- ‘She was smart, sassy and beautiful - and there has never been a voice to equal hers on the pop music scene.’
- ‘Her vocals are alternately sassy, playful and scolding, though they always retain a composure that makes them more detached than outrightly emotional.’
- ‘She was career-orientated, she was smart, she was sassy and confident.’
- ‘It's funny, it's smart, it's endearing and it's a little sassy too.’
- ‘Taureans can be as wild and sassy, bad and brilliant, fast and smart as anyone when they care to.’
Mid 19th century: variant of saucy.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.