One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large red-headed crane found from India to the Philippines.
- ‘Some species pair for life, the most celebrated example being the tall stately sarus crane, which graces the green fields of North India.’
- ‘Once in a while, while driving trough the rural areas of Northern India, one might come across to a memorable sight; a Sarus Crane, the tallest flying bird in the world.’
- ‘Favoured by brolgas, sarus cranes and black-necked storks, its lagoons were created from excess irrigation water.’
- ‘The emus are four months old and the sarus crane is six months old.’
- ‘There are motorcycles, the odd tractor, some hand-pumps, a flock of the most serene sarus cranes by the side of a pond.’
Mid 19th century: sarus from Sanskrit sārasa.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.