Loss of muscle tissue as a natural part of the aging process.
- ‘This is principally the result of sarcopenia (loss of muscle mass) and occurs to a greater degree in older women than men.’
- ‘Strength training can prevent or aid several age-related illnesses among seniors, including the muscle destroying sarcopenia.’
- ‘Advancing age brings progressive loss of muscle strength, muscle mass, and muscle quality, resulting in a condition known as sarcopenia.’
- ‘A new name, sarcopenia or vanishing flesh has been applied to Maude's illness.’
- ‘Preventing sarcopenia, as well as minimizing bone loss, can improve the health of postmenopausal women.’
1990s: from Greek, literally lack of flesh; coined by Irwin H. Rosenberg of the USDA.