The fine transparent tubular sheath which envelops the fibers of skeletal muscles.
covering, cover, case, casing, envelope, sleeve, wrapperView synonyms
- ‘The usual position of skeletal muscle nuclei and the discovery of the sarcolemma is credited to Bowman.’
- ‘The newborn larvae migrate from the host's blood vessels through the sarcolemma of striated muscle tissue, where they penetrate and encyst inside an individual muscle cell.’
- ‘EC coupling occurs at specialized regions where the intracellular sarcoplasmic reticulum forms junctions with the sarcolemma or, more frequently, with tubular invaginations of the sarcolemma known as transverse tubules.’
- ‘Structural abnormalities included loss of lateral alignment of myofibrils, perturbation of myofibril anchorage to the sarcolemma, abnormal mitochondrial number and organization, and loss of nuclear shape and positioning.’
- ‘Desmin and vinculin are functionally related proteins that are present in the membrane-associated dense bodies in the sarcolemma of the smooth muscle cells.’
Mid 19th century: from Greek sarx, sark- ‘flesh’ + lemma ‘husk’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.