One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The soft outer layers of recently formed wood between the heartwood and the bark, containing the functioning vascular tissue.
- ‘This freestanding bench uses Construction Common or Deck Common redwood grades that have a pleasing mix of heartwood and sapwood.’
- ‘A construction common, which contains some sapwood, is ideal for the deck boards.’
- ‘His saplings were all sapwood, which bends much differently from the heartwood that makes up the majority of the old bows.’
- ‘Redwood beauty is typified by rich cinnamon-colored heartwood, cream-colored sapwood, distinctive grain and performance that keeps projects looking good for years.’
- ‘They're a nice, knot-free heartwood, meaning that there's no outer layer of sapwood on it.’
- ‘In hardwoods especially, the heartwood coloration is preferred and the sometimes lighter sapwood may be considered a defect and discarded.’
- ‘The lighter colored sapwood will deteriorate just as quickly as pine or spruce.’
- ‘Choose Construction Common or Deck Common redwood, grades with pleasing blends of heartwood and sapwood, for a long-lasting and economical deck.’
- ‘The fluted trunk is sprouting tufts of grass and although still covered in bark, the sapwood underneath is mush.’
- ‘Throughout the growing season, hollow vessels in a tree's sapwood, or xylem, conduct water and nutrients up from the roots to the leaves.’
- ‘The square-edge diagonal board sheathing that seems so fabulous in memory is now grown so fast and harvested so young it is sapwood all the way through.’
- ‘The sapwood is light brown and the heartwood is dark brown.’
- ‘A further measure to avoid violent movement in the final carved sculpture is to remove the heartwood from the log, since it shrinks at a different rate from the outer sapwood.’
- ‘The first synthetic vanillin was produced by German chemists in 1874 from coniferin, the glucoside found in the sapwood of certain conifers.’
- ‘The beetles lay their eggs in trees and the resulting larvae bore into the wood, feeding on the tree's cambium, sapwood, and heartwood and impeding the movement of water and nutrients through the tree.’
- ‘Construction Common, Deck Common, Merchantable Heart and Merchantable are knotty garden grades of redwood and offer a colorful mix of sapwood and heartwood.’
- ‘The relative amounts of heartwood and sapwood in a flooring batch may affect the way it accepts stain and finish and, therefore, the finished appearance of the floor.’
- ‘The sapwood, frequently 3 to 4 inches thick, is white with a reddish tinge.’
- ‘Old wood cut open reveals dead sapwood extending from an old pruning wound, the point of entry of the fungus.’
- ‘Those results suggested that sapwood respiration was not limited by sapwood quantity alone, but by other factors, such as frequency, vitality, and content of the sapwood parenchyma.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.