[attributive] Relating to or denoting either of the two large superficial veins in the leg.
- ‘During coronary artery bypass graft surgery, a general surgeon is asked by the cardiac surgeon to harvest a saphenous vein.’
- ‘The treatment of old saphenous vein graft stenosis with coronary angioplasty has a high rate of restenosis and clinical events.’
- ‘The posterior tibial may be replaced by the peroneal or the saphenous artery, as these are united by an anastomosis in an early stage of development.’
- ‘Its continued use after 1 year in patients with saphenous vein to coronary artery grafts is justified on the grounds of the beneficial effect of aspirin in coronary artery disease.’
- ‘Examples include insertion of central access lines and chest tubes, invasive diagnostic procedures, ambulatory surgery, harvesting of saphenous veins for bypass procedures, and many others.’
Mid 19th century: from medieval Latin saphena vein + -ous.