One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A narrow point of sandy land projecting into the sea.‘the dramatic beach on the far side of the sandspit’
- ‘They originally constructed a lagoon in the middle of the sandspit.’
- ‘It's a 35-square kilometre area with reefs, a little bit of lagoons, and a sandspit.’
- ‘I went to some trouble to search out the most interesting photos and descriptions of the intact relocation of an 800-ton structure resting on nothing more substantial than a sandspit.’
- ‘Major work is in hand with regard to the tidying up of the sandspit.’
- ‘A dramatic reminder of the recently expanding ties between the village and the outside world was a gravel roadway stretching from the sandspit at the island's easternmost edge to its highest knoll a mile or so away.’
- ‘The northern end includes a sandspit sanctuary for endangered birds.’
- ‘The settlement is built on a sandspit.’
- ‘The is a 15-minute drive over the hill on a long sandspit enclosing the broad harbour.’
- ‘The sandspit protected the area from disasters such as tsunamis.’
- ‘Just getting access to the site would prove almost impossible once the sandspit's archaeological sites, flora, and fauna were taken into account.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.